Friday, February 19, 2010

In My Backyard…Events of the past storm!

Now I haven’t been able to write about all the havoc we  have been here in the mountains.  I knew this year we would have El Nino and it would pretty bad, but I had no idea that it would be THIS bad!

Like I said in my other post, we had a series of storms that dumped over 5 feet of snow in just a couple of days. 

We were out of power for 36 hours due to wind gusts that went over the lake at 80 miles an hour and sheared eight power poles like toothpicks.  Here is a picture of them, if you look at the back of the picture you will see one power pole down,.  They closed the road in order to work around the clock to get them up and God Bless the electric company.

I had to take this with my cell phone after trekking as far as I could before being asked to leave and trek back to my truck.  (hey that was kind of funny).

  picture of power line down

Well that is were funny stopped.  The first night wasn’t so bad with not having electricity, used a lot of candles and fires in the fireplace.  But the next morning, OH MY LORD!  Here are some pictures of what we woke up to:

snow 1 snow 7snow 8snow 5 snow 2

snow 3 snow 4

Beautiful  isn’t it?  Now you ask about the chickens, what happens to them when there is this much snow?

Well, take a look at their chicken run:chicken coop

What do chickens do when there is this much snow? 

Andy went out there to shovel a path so at least the chickens could get out and when he went to the back guess who was looking right at him at eye level?  Susie Loo Who!  Can you believe it?  She pecked at the snow a little at a time until she reached the top of it!  Aren’t chickens amazing!!!  Unfortunately, since the storm they have only laid one egg, it traumatized them. 

We are having another storm come in tonight and is supposed to last for the next few days, so here we go again, however, I don’t believe it will be as bad or even near as bad as this last epic storm. 

It feels so good to have the internet back, just makes me so nervous to be so dependant on this machine, I don’t ever want to be without it again, I felt I was all by myself on a mountain that was snowed in…wait a minute……..

1 comment:

demainca said...

WOW, here I am down the hill and its the first time I have seen the pictures and we are sisters! I should say I miss you having the internet too. I can't believe the snow was even with the living room windows good thing its stopped snowing when it did or you might not have been able to see out of them. Suzie Loo Who knew she didn't want to be closed up in the coop and you can't keep a good hen down!