Monday, May 18, 2009

THE best lemon curd recipe!

I love lemon curd! I have to tell you the first time I ever heard of lemon curd, the name grossed me out! Curd? Too close to the name curdle, YUCK! When looking at recipes that had the lemon curd in its ingredients I finally broke down and bought it, and thought "This is incredible!"

My friends ask "OK, what do you do with it? Well, many things, my favorite, which I made the other night for a dinner party at my house, was to take the angel food cups you buy at the store in packs of four, sliced strawberries with sugar over them to sweat out the juice of the strawberries (did that a few hours before), then layer it, first the cup, then the curd, strawberries over it and a large spoonful of Cool Whip over it, what a great summer recipe! You have the sweet and sour taste which has summer written all over it! YUM!

I put it on my bagel, add it to the filling of cakes, use it with scones, and use it as a dip for fruit, just to name a few.

So, off I went to try as many lemon curds as possible to find the best one. I went from very expensive to cheap (from $9.00 down to $2.25) trying to find the best one. I have really wanted to make a recipe but scared to because of the possibility that the eggs will cook and have bits of eggs in it, I don't think so EWWWWE!

Looking and looking I saw one that I FINALLY decided to try it, what the heck, if I don't like it I will just throw it away.

Wow! Was it fun to make, and boy is it fabulous!

So here are the instructions. Let me what you think....

These are the tools you will need:
Mixing with the hand mixer: Don't get scared, it is supposed to curdle.
Putting the mixture into the saucepan, but NOT on the....
Stove! See what happens when I try to take pictures and pour at the same time!
This is low heat, just keep stirring, MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT HAVE IT BOIL, or you will be eating eggs in it, YUCK!
After 15 minutes, the curd will turn beautiful yellow and thicken up so you can see the separation on the back of the spoon.
It will thicken up once it cools down and I almost immediately put it into a canning car, wow isn't it gorgeous!
The recipe is as follows:

3 oz. (6 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
2 large egg yolks
2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. grated lemon zest

In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer, about 2 min. Slowly add the eggs and yolks. Beat for 1 min. Mix in the lemon juice. The mixture will look curdled, but it will smooth out as it cooks.

In a medium, heavy-based saucepan, cook the mixture over low heat until it looks smooth. (The curdled appearance disappears as the butter in the mixture melts.) Increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 15 min. It should leave a path on the back of a spoon and will read 170°F on a thermometer. Don't let the mixture boil.

Remove the curd from the heat; stir in the lemon zest. Transfer the curd to a bowl. Press plastic wrap on the surface of the lemon curd to keep a skin from forming and chill the curd in the refrigerator. The curd will thicken further as it cools. Covered tightly, it will keep in the refrigerator for a week and in the freezer for 2 months.

Variations
For lime curd, substitute fresh lime juice and zest for lemon.
From Fine Cooking 26, pp. 52-54
April 1, 1998

Man, I love the internet!

5 comments:

demainca said...

Oh no, now you went and did it!!
I just got the bread made. I mastered it and here you go and do this to me!! You keep finding things for me to have to do don't you???
Boy, this looks great,sis, I am going to have to try it. I remember when I was little mom made it to put on a cake can't remember what kind but it was a cake!! I don't recall it being nearly as pretty as yours! Keep it up UMMMM!! Bobbie

Erika said...

I had to leave a comment and tell you I am the same way with thinking there will be little bits of cooked egg in things! lol

Jeanine said...

Hi Erika, just make sure you will cook it really and I mean really low! Some people use a double broiler, that would make it too easy don't you think? Living on the wild side is my side! Thanks for the comment, make it and let me know what you think, btw, thanks for stopping by!

Cindy said...

Hi Janine-

Imagine my suprise when I googled "best lemon curd recipe" and saw your blog on the 1st page of hits. I am visiting my mom in SO CA and she has a wonderful Meyer's lemon tree that has been cross pollinated by a neighboring navel orange tree. The pulp is a deep golden color and the juice is sweeter. Anyways, tried your recipe and the batch turned out great! Shared the story and the link to your blog on Facebook as several friends are from ETHS. Hope you are well. Take care, Cindy Schell Class '76

Anne said...

Hi Jeanine, can't wait to try your recipe, it looks great.
Can I use a buttery spread instead of butter? Can you tell me how many lemons you used?
Best wishes,
Anne